Accidentally ingested liquid nicotine caused the death of a toddler this Tuesday in New York. Police officials said that a 1 year old child passed away this week after drinking some fluid nicotine, a substance commonly used in e-cigarettes.
Even if the child was hurried to a clinic in Little Falls, New York after he was discovered in a state of lethargy at home, hospital staff could not do anything to prevent the toddler’s death.
Police officials did not give a lot of details about the case they called a tragic mishap. For instance it is not known whether or not the liquid nicotine was connected to an e-cigarette device. However it is certain that fluid nicotine can be deadly for children in doses as meager as a teaspoon.
This information was published in a statement by the American Association of Poison Control. It read that just one teaspoon of liquid nicotine could be the end for a child and even smaller doses could bring about severe afflictions that frequently need to be treated in a medical facility.
The Association also drew attention on the fact that, most of the times, the nicotine electronic gadgets are reachable by such small children because they are not equipped with any child –proof wrapping.
Apparently this case is not an exception, but an example of the increasing number of hospitalized kids who have accidentally ingested the substance. This statement was made by Dr. James Saperstone a pediatrician who gave an interview to a local TV channel. He estimated this type of poisoning has spread so much that the cases might be increasing by 150% to 300%.
The child passed away two hours after being discovered unconscious. Law enforcement officials also said that the case will be further investigated, though there will probably be no charges against anyone.
The use of e-cigarettes and liquid nicotine is perfectly legal in New York. One store close Fort Plain that offers fluid nicotine said childproofing is a fundamental precautionary measure.
Molly Brick with Vapor Geekz declared that the branded product has a childproof top and all producers should try and to guarantee safety as much as they can, even if the e-cigarettes are designed for adult consumption.
New York officials are pushing for tighter rules regarding fluid nicotine, and a bill tending to the issue of security is going to be enforced in the near future. Also, The New York State Assembly and Senate have already voted a bill imposing safe holders on fluid nicotine as child-proof measures. The bill is to be signed by the Senator this month.