STATES CHRONICLE – Many infants have experienced eye burns caused by laundry detergent pods. A newly developed study in the US proved that there exists an increase in the number of kids who suffered eye burns triggered by detergent pods. Back in 2012, there were reported only 12 incidents in which 3-4-year-old children suffered eye burns.
Nevertheless, in 2015, the number of injured infants raised to a massive 480 cases, representing a quarter of the total number of chemical eye injury accidents which occurred during that year. In the United States, between 2010 and 2015 there were registered approximately 1,200 eyes burn damages for kids with ages between 3 and four years old.
The new study developed by researchers from John Hopkins University proved that this increase in the number of eye burns was linked to the popularity of detergent pads rich in caustic chemicals. This type of accidents usually happens when these products are at children’s service. Parents may accidently leave these chemical products near their children, and they will tend to squeeze the liquid content, unfortunately reaching into their eyes.
They may also play with this laundry detergent pods which may be leaking, and without being aware of it, infants may then rub their eyes, causing a burn. Previously, doctors in the United Kingdom have warned parents regarding dishwasher and laundry detergent tablets which kids may take them as sweets. Parents need to pay attention to the places they chose to store all these cleaning chemical products which can put their children in danger.
It doesn’t matter if your child just turned five and you no longer see it as a small baby. You still need to keep all your drawers and cabinets baby-proofed for the safety of your children. Specialists estimated that infants under the age of five indicated the highest risk for such accidents to happen. Sterling Haring, a researcher who took part in the development of the study, explains that the number of pre-school-aged kids who experience such detergent-caused burns is currently increasing.
Most injuries were registered in children under the age of five, where most accidents happened exclusively at home. If storage seems to be a problem, Haring has a solution. The scientist advises parents to redesign the boxes of these chemical substances, making it look less attractive for their children if they discover them.
Image source: flickr