STATES CHRONICLE -Evanger’s is recalling 5 batches of dog food because the food might be contaminated. The company decided to recall these products because more than 5 dogs took ill after they eat this food. One dog died after consuming the “Hunk of Beef” can.
The owners of these dogs were the ones that reported the problems. Those reports made the company recall all of the food cans that were made in the second week of June. Despite the fact that they did not test all of the food cans they decided that it was best to recall it.
After analyzing the food it was discovered that the dog food had a dose of Pentobarbital. This is extremely dangerous for animals because it can give them symptoms like dizziness and nausea. In very rare cases animals can die if they ingest Pentobarbital.
The recall notice was posted on the FDA official website on February 3rd. The company, Evanger’s Dog & Cat Food of Wheeling decided to recall more than 5 batches of canned dog food that was going to expire in June 2020. The name of the product is “Hunk of Beef”.
These products are being sold in more than 10 states including South Carolina, New York, Illinois, Florida, California, Michigan, and Indiana. The recall report mentioned that all of these products were made in the second week of June, last year.
The recall notice mentioned that only the 12-ounce cans are contaminated. The owners who purchased dog food with the numbers 1816E04HB, 1816E06HB, 1816E07HB, 1816E03HB, and 1816E13HB, should not feed their dogs with these products.
The owners who observe that they have feed their dogs this dog food need to take the animals to the veterinarian immediately. Veterinarians mentioned that Pentobarbital is dangerous for animals because it acts just like a sedative. When an animal ingests this substance it can experience loss of balance, nausea, drowsiness and dizziness.
The company mentioned that the ingredients that are used for making the “Hunk of Beef” are not used for other products. Evanger’s mentioned that they will investigate the problem further in order to find out how the substance got mixed with the other ingredients.
What it your opinion about this recall?
Image source: Pixabay