A new law approves use of recreational marijuana in the state of Oregon, but only in roughly 47 percent of it, as the other 53 percent is governed by entities that still consider it as illegal as ecstasy, LSD or heroin.
So if you plan on smoking, carrying or cultivating cannabis in Oregon, you must beware: the U.S. Forest Service and U.S. Bureau of Land Management and National Park Service are still in authority of punishing you if you do it in the wrong side of the state.
In most of the United States, possessing small amounts of weed is still a federal misdemeanor, punishable by fines or even jail time. However, federal authorities aren’t that set on catching people in the act when it comes to that baggie of weed. Starting July 1st, Oregonians have found themselves under new laws.
But exactly how much pot can they possess, inside or outside the home? According to Matt Wallstatter, the owner of Pure Green marijuana dispensary, the feds will punish those who take marijuana outside the state’s borders, sell it while armed, cultivate it in industrial sizes in a national forest, sell to children, or sell it illegally under the cover of the state medical marijuana program.
These scenarios, and several others, were outlines by the U.S. Department of Justice back in August 2013 in the memorandum that served as basis for Colorado’s legalization of recreational marijuana sales.
According to Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas H. Edmonds, director of federal drug prosecutions in Oregon, this memo is still the main guideline when it comes to legalizing or easing up on the policies involving marijuana.
Edmonds pointed out, however, that the memo is a mere “road map” that will guide his offices in their practices, while at the same time they will wait and see how the new law translates into the population’s behaviors.
In the meantime, there are plenty of places that are still off-hands for pot users who want to light up – or just carry marijuana – outside their homes; U.S. government buildings, U.S. Postal Service offices, and basically any federally owned property is still a no-no.
Mailing marijuana outside the state lines is also rather enthusiastically pursued by federal prosecutors enthusiastically, so don’t go playing with that. Federal prisons also have tight rules, as visitors can undergo random cannabis checks before entering; even smelling of pot can represent reason not be let to pass.
Image Source: RT