A new study has found that more and more US kids drink hand sanitizer to get drunk. Individuals as young as six (6) years old turn to the disinfectant to get a buzz.
One such case is that of Nhaijah Russell. She recently consumed three (3) or four (4) squirts of hand sanitizer during a normal school day and said that the liquid was quite tasty. It tasted like strawberries.
But the experience also earned her a trip to the hospital. In fact, Russell was taken straight into the emergency room as she was barely able to talk or stand on her own two feet.
The poison control centers across the country inform that this type of behavior has been a problem since 2010. In just five (5) years the number of calls describing kids who drink hand sanitizer has grown by almost 400 percent (400%). The Georgia Poison Center says that these kids are younger than 12 years old.
Dr. Gaylord Lopez, director of the Georgia Poison Center, gave a statement saying that “Kids are getting into these products more frequently, and unfortunately, there’s a percentage of them going to the emergency room”.
What the young students don’t realize is that hand sanitizers typically contain anywhere from 45 percent (45%) to 95 percent (95%) alcohol, a lot more than their bodies (or any bodies) can tolerate. As a measure of comparison, Dr. Lopez explained that common alcoholic beverages only contain about 5 percent (5%) alcohol (beer) and 12 percent (12%) alcohol (wine).
This is why Russell had a blood alcohol level of 179 when she was admitted at the Gwinnett Medical Center. Chris Ritchey, the doctor who treated her, mentioned that this is twice the amount that an average adult needs to drink to be considered legally drunk.
The medical staff was so worried that they kept an eye on her overnight to make sure that she doesn’t show any signs of brain trauma after the alcohol caused her to fall and she ended up hitting her head.
And there have been many other cases of alcohol poisoning where the patients only consumed as little as two (2) or three (3) squirts. Signs of alcohol poisoning include confusion, drowsiness and vomiting. Sometimes young kids may even stop breathing.
Image Source: pixabay.com