STATES CHRONICLE – Last month, a teenager from Richland County, South Carolina, suffered a sudden cardiac event induced by the ingestion of too much caffeine. Davis Allen Cripe, aged 16, drank a latte, soda, and energy drink in two hours. The same morning at high school, he collapsed on the floor of his classroom and later died.
Too much caffeine led to arrhythmia
Until May 15th, nobody knew why the boy died. Then, the results of the investigation came out and revealed that drinking too much caffeine led to him suffering a fatal cardiac event. The morning of the incident, Davis drank a large Mountain Dew, a McDonald’s latte, and an energy drink, all within two hours.
All these drinks contained a significant quantity of caffeine, which was ingested in a much too short timespan. This led to an arrhythmia which then triggered the fatal cardiac event. Everybody was left speechless, as the boy was not aware of suffering from any previous heart conditions.
Regulate your caffeine consumption
Davis’ parents suffered a great loss, describing their son as a great kid with a heart of gold and an amazing personality. His father, Sean Cripe, held a press conference on Monday and warned all parents to pay attention to their children, as death might sometimes come from unexpected causes.
“We worry about their safety, their health, especially once they start driving, but it wasn’t a car crash that took his life, instead it was an energy drink.”
He also advised parents to supervise the caffeine consumption of their children, and teenagers to stop drinking such beverages. Highly caffeinated drinks, as well as energy drinks, are dangerous and bring only apparent benefits.
Many people have problems in managing their daily caffeine intake, as most of them consume too much of the substance. Experts recommend people not to drink more than three of four cups of coffee a day, which translates as 400 milligrams of caffeine. Consuming more than that can put your life in danger.
Image Source: Pixabay