STATES CHRONICLE – A family from Oregon lived some terrifying moments when they saw their daughter suffer temporary paralysis after she got bitten by a tick. They caught everything on video, which then went viral on Facebook. The family wanted to make it public to raise awareness on the dangers of tick bites.
Video of girl experiencing sudden paralysis goes viral
The Lewis family watched their daughter Evelyn how she was struggling to stand and, when she tried to make a few steps, she went limp. Next morning, they helplessly watched her how she couldn’t move her legs, and her arms were almost paralyzed, too. At that moment, they decided to rush the little girl to the hospital.
Fortunately, doctors immediately found what was wrong. They discovered an American dog tick attached to the girl’s hair. Doctors removed it, and the girl’s condition had started improving immediately. Next day, she was even able to start walking again.
The warm season brought ticks back
The danger of tick bites is real, especially during warmer seasons. Higher temperatures brought ticks back to life, and they are now widespread in various areas of the United States. Bites might happen quick, so people are advised to be careful where they let their kids play. For instance, Evelyn got bitten only after 30 minutes of playing outside.
Doctors say people should remove the ticks from their skin immediately, by using a tweezer. Then, they should identify it and know what risks they have been exposed to. There are various complications caused by ticks, such as Colorado tick fever, Lyme disease, or many other illnesses.
Tick bite-induced paralysis occurs pretty rarely, and it should subside 24 hours after it has been removed. The video of Evelyn should work as a warning for people to be careful with these insects, and also know what to look for if they experience sudden paralysis.
Image Source: Flickr