STATES CHRONICLE – A terrible bacteria which is flesh-consuming caused the death of a man. Although this scenario seems to be part of horror stories, it is real. A man contacted this strange bacterium and died after four days of fighting against it. His wife wanted to alert medical authorities and people around the world to be cautious. Michael Funk was a 67-year-old man who lived in Maryland. Marcia Funk, his wife, revealed to the press that last September her husband felt ill after contracting this dangerous virus called Vibrio vulnificus.
They were in Ocean City, which is known as a tourist resort. Medical staff who took care of her husband wanted to keep a secret of this unfortunate experience. Based on the declarations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the dangerous bacteria lives in salt water and can cause serious problems to people consuming uncooked seafood. It could also affect people who reveal their injuries to seawater.
The majority of these infections appeared during the period between May and October when the warm temperatures are a proper factor for the development of the virus. The terrible bacteria can be very prosperous when seawater becomes warmer. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in the US there have been registered approximately 80,000 infections with the terrible bacteria Vibrio vunificus.
About a hundred people die because of this virus which attacks their flesh. Jessica Waters, who is a spokesperson for the Ocean City, argued that Funk’s case has determined the Maryland Department of Health search for more details in their investigation. Waters claimed that medical authorities did not rise population’s awareness regarding this terrible bacteria. This Vibro vulnificus was unknown for many people.
Michael Funk was cleaning his boat and needed to get in the water, without worrying about his open injury. Later that day, he complained about not feeling so well, and he began to vomit. He has also said that his open minor injury from his leg suddenly became very painful. The infected wound caused the amputation of Michael’s leg. He was transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center.
After the procedure, he was kept on life support. On September 15, Funk died. Now, his widow is trying to prevent people from these terrible bacteria, asking them to get informed and protected.
Image source: wikipedia